An entire slew of progress has been made yet again! We are at that sort of halfway point where things are taking shape (basic playthough nearly there, game-wide systems operational). Of course that same place is also one of a vast chunk of impending hard work that one only becomes aware of once commitment is at full…
The biggest challenge for me personally has been learning how to work within the pipeline that Phill has created- as a two person team we have to wear many hats, not just the comfy hats we like, but also the bulky ones that keep falling off. However difficult it has been to adapt my pencils-and-brushes based thought process, it has been very rewarding, the above image shows some pleasing results from this week.
Another thing we did was to capture some up-to-date demo footage in lovely 1080p, which my regular machine struggles to record. Have a look at the results below:
Unsurprisingly, simple questions like ‘what should the fuel counter look like?’ are some of the hardest to answer. The solution needs to be un-intrusive yet visually obvious as to what is going on.
We need our fuel bar to not only indicate the remaining level of power for the pod, but also to communicate the rate of power consumption. We don’t want to take pains to point out to the player how different actions (firing thrusters, using the tractor beam etc.) have different fuel requirements. Nobody wants to read pages of text before they get to start playing.
Another element required is, for want of a better term, the mothership’s energy cargo. As a mining vessel with absorption technology the mothership can dissolve and convert them to energy. The player dumps objects into the collection hopper to achieve this.
We need the player to be able to see the current amount of energy cargo as this will influence decisions about what to harvest from the environment and how quickly it is needed.
We have settled on a system of blocks that represent discreet units of power- each ‘pip’ is a full recharge of the pod’s fuel- that the player will be using. This will carry over between levels and will be expendable to redeem various improvements in a ‘levelling up’ fashion. Below is a video showing the first working pass of these two UI elements.
Refining the “space hulk” generation process is quite a task. Here are some screenshots that show the kind of shapes and complexity we are playing with.
Above is an example of using the rib-like structures the vessels are made from to create different types of explorable spaces.
The aim is to create something that feels like it is both an ancient, collapsing spaceship and the bizarre remains of some starborn creature.
The reasons for this design direction go beyond ‘we think it’s cool’ and are in service of the back story… more on that later though.
Initiate docking procedure.
Here is a short clip that demonstrates some in stances of the dynamic soundtrack stuff we have used. The long and short of it is, the player’s position, run time and other events changes how the soundtrack playback is mixed, effected and filtered.
Our hope is to build on the sense of atmosphere and depth in the game, and also being in upbeat elements for when things get more intense.
Apparently youtube doesn’t take you seriously until you have 500 subscribers. Hooray for metrics!
It has been a long time since we updated this blog, but I’m happy to report that is because we’ve been crushing it hardcore. There is still a long way to go but here is the first public preview of our game ‘After Lotus Point’…
As you can see it’s a sci-fi themed space game, and it has exploration / resource gathering / dealing with hostile forces at the centre of the gameplay.
This is all fairly early stuff and we will be posting more detail as things progress.. more soon!